A guest who attended a Florida wedding is now suing the caterer who, she says, served food laced with “poisonous” levels of marijuana.
According to Fox News, a lawsuit was filed on Monday by Virginia Ann Taylor-Svobod. The woman says she suffered “severe, permanent” injuries after indulging in food from Joycelyn Bryant of Joycelyn’s Southern Kitchen Inc.
In the lawsuit, Taylor-Svobod alleges that she had no idea the food being served contained marijuana. As a result, she suffered from “marijuana poisoning.” And is accusing Bryant of negligence, seeking more than $30,000 in damages, as reported by New York Post.
(Bryant) knew, or should have known, that allowing the food served by (Joycelyn’s Southern Kitchen) to be laced with marijuana was reasonably likely to cause injuries and damages to wedding guests.
— New York Post (@nypost) November 30, 2022
The Wedding Went From Bliss To Chaos
On Feb. 19, Seminole County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrived at the wedding reception to find guests complaining of feeling “high.” According to Fox News, one guest told deputies he was so high, he felt like he “had drugs inside him.” The guest alleged that he only consumed food and wine.
When officers arrived, guests were already being treated by first responders, with a few sick attendees being sent to the hospital.
What was supposed to be an event full of bliss, immediately turned to chaos as one guest told authorities he wanted to press charges against the people responsible for lacing his food.
Samples of the food served were then sent to a lab for testing. According to Fox News, results revealed that bread and lasagna tested positive for THC, an active ingredient in marijuana.
Bryant And The Bride Are Both In Hot Water
In April, Bryant was been charged with violating the Florida Anti-Tampering Act, delivery of marijuana, and culpable negligence. The bride also is facing several charges which include tampering with food and delivering marijuana.
Florida caterer sued for serving marijuana-laced food at a wedding, causing some guests to become ill.
— David Broder, DO (@DavidBroderDO) November 30, 2022